Board Game News Roundup : Zombies, Gladiators and more!
In the Crowdfunding/Kickstarter world, there’s a whole lot of cool games that have cropped up in the last few weeks. Here’s some of the top ones I’m watching out for:
- Dog Breath Games has its first game coming out on Kickstarter, Empires of Zidal . This caught my eye because: 1) it looks like it has some pretty unique gameplay centered around economy and deckbuilding and 2) it’s the first game I’ve seen where you have children that are upgraded into other guilds of economy.
- The sequel to Hoplomachus : The Lost Cities has hit Kickstarter! Hopolomachus : Rise of Rome features two new cities (Rome and Pompeii) to duel it out in the arena for blood and glory. The new cities are fully compatible with the previous ones, and there’s even a mini-expansion with some units for all five cities. There’s also a new, tighter arena to battle it out in. Go check it out if you’re a fan of ancient combat.
- One of the HUGE Kickstarter successes of last year was Zombicide. It’s gotten great reviews and has tons of Minis. Well, CoolMiniOrNot/Guillotine Games is bringing out Zombicide: Season 2 and an expansion titled Zombicide: Toxic City Mall. The KS campaign has already gone off the rails – nearing the 600k mark (at the time of writing). Tons of stretch goals and plenty of zombie minis await!
- Simple Dice games have really taken off in the last few years. Games that can be played in <15 minutes with just a few dice and/or cards make perfect games to play at lunchtime or standing in line at your favorite Con. Tasty Minstrel Games has just started a new campaign to fund Dungeon Roll, a fantasy push-your-luck dice game where players are rolling a party, and deciding how to optimally allocate their fighters in order to get further and further into the dungeon. What’s really awesome is that the game is available through KS for only $15 USD. A crazy good price for what looks to be a really interesting game.
- When I think of Richard Borg, I traditionally think of my all-time favorite game series: Command And Color:Ancients (or Napoleonics). Albino Dragon is publishing a game designed by Mr. Borg entitled Dragon Whisperer, a trick-taking game set in a magical world. Take a look at the beautiful art and hurry up as the campaign ends soon.
- One of the hit games for 2012, Seasons, has an expansion coming out later this year (possibly in time for GenCon) titled Seasons: Enchanted Kingdoms. Click here for more details (the link is in French). This expansion will add plenty of power cards and other interesting mechanics. I haven’t played Seasons (yet…) but I’ve heard that Seasons fans are really jazzed about this one.
- For those serious about developing games, here’s a blog post about a cool experience one designer had when Vlaada Chvatil joined in for a playtest. Thinking about my own spare time game designing, I can’t imagine how awesome it would be to have Vlaada playtest. While it would certainly be great for my game design, I can’t imagine what he’d say.