Board Game News Roundup: A Princess Bride Game or Firefly?
- Breaking News! Greater than Games has announced Galactic Strike Force! After the success of Sentinels, Greater Than Games is taking things into outer space. This two-six player game will have players playing as a ship and crew and battling enemy forces across the galaxy! Read about it all here.
- AEG has more Smash Up coming soon. The new expansion Smash Up: Awesome Level 9000 will soon be here with 4 new factions including Bear Cavalry, Plants, Steampunks and Ghosts! AEG has this expansion slated for March. I’ve heard it on good authority that this expansion will also include the much needed victory point tokens. No longer will you need a d20 to track points.
- AEG has also started to tease new art for a game coming out in late 2013. What could it be? AEG is not saying much except that it’s not Thunderstone but something new…
A top secret AEG game? Looks like it’s very adventurey! (Image via AEG)
- Game Salute has acquired the rights for creating the Princess Bride board game. There’s not many details yet, but it sounds like the game will be a series of smaller mini-games that can be played in less than an hour. I, for one, fear the ROUS (Rodents of Unusual Size … I don’t think they exist). Every geek and child of the 80s and 90s can quote this movie! Now, let’s just make an excellent game with it. Check out the announcement here.
- In other excellent licensing news, Toy Vault has acquired the license for my beloved … no, not my wife, but Firefly. I have been a loyal member of the ‘verse for years now and I was stunned when I heard that someone other than Fox had gotten the license. Now, we just need Toy Vault to make something great out of it. I’ve heard that there is a two player card game in the works and they’re challenging folks to submit ideas for games in the ‘verse. Check out their FB page for more details. Lastly, I’ve heard they’re going to make some Firefly plushies … Sold!
When Tower Defense and Summoner Wars collide… (Image via PlaidHatGames)
- Tons of Summoner Wars news has arrived on the so-called Second Summoners. Read about the Phoenix Elves here, The Guild Dwarves here and here, the Cave Goblins here, and the Tundra Orcs here. More each Monday on PlaidHatGames.com. I’m loving the look of all of these new decks, but the Guild Dwarves is really standing out to me right now. It looks as though you can play your own game of Tower Defense!
The psychic forcemaster is set to battle it out with the conquering warlord on Feb 18th! (Image via Arcane Wonders)
- Arcane Wonders is squaring up to release their first big expansion for Mage Wars. I’ve been having a blast lately with this game, and following the expansion cards they’ve revealed on Facebook. The expansion has 60 unique spells and some 200 total cards plus more counters and spellbooks. I love the direction this game has been going and I’m hotly awaiting this.
- Ares Games has released Duel packs for WW1 Wings of Glory. Check out a great way to get started with the game here. Much like Summoner Wars, I really do appreciate it when games put out good starting points for their series. While I haven’t tried Wings of Glory yet, it’s got an excellent fan following.