Board Game News Roundup: Treebeard, Pumpkin Trains and More!
"Do not be hasty." (Image via aresgame.eu)
- Ares games is releasing a promo figure of Treebeard for use in War of the Ring 2nd Edition. In keeping with lore, Treebeard will of course help recruit troops from Fangorn forest. I’ll admit, I haven’t played my recently-received copy of War of the Ring, but I love Treebeard! His promo figure will come with the required event card to play and should be available on the Board Game Geek store in early November. Read more about him here!
- Of course, all of this great promo is to help announce the first expansion for War of the Ring 2nd Edition. This set will come with 8 figures, new events, and dice use to represent the three Elven rings. Read more about this set here or for more info and follow some of these great designer diaries.
- Stronghold Games is releasing an expansion to the very popular game, Core Worlds. Core Worlds : Galactic Orders will bring a new Core World (Raven), new infantry, starfighters, capital ships, and more. The central theme behind this one will be factions that confer certain bonuses by using cards that match their symbol. You know that purple little hand or blue hammer symbol next to the type of card? That will be the faction symbol, and by playing a card that matches one of those symbols, you’ll be able to play a token onto the matching faction card. You’ll be able to play the token for is bonus or save it to the end of the game for victory points. It’s a cool concept and I’m looking forward to it. You can read more previews over on Board Game Geek or wait for the expansion’s release in the next few months (early Dec. if you believe the internetz).
Orange spooky trains for Ticket to Ride (Image courtesy of DaysOfWonder)
- Days of Wonder is releasing a Halloween themed set of train figures for the Ticket to Ride series. This is perfect for any spooky gatherings you might be having at the end of this month. Read more about the details here.
- Lastly, Victory Point Games has released a new fantasy Cooperative game called Darkest Night. Each player plays a unique hero, fights the forces of darkness, and tries to amass enough power to overcome the Necromancer. Looks like a really interesting co-op game! Read more all about it on VPG’s site here.