Board Game News Roundup: Galaxy Truckers, Quarriors, and Talk About Boxes
Oddly, this weeks post talks a lot about boxes. I’m not quite sure how it happened but it just did. There’s just a lot of news around board game boxes. Let’s get to the news though!
- Galaxy Trucker’s next expansion, accurately titled Another Big Expansion, will be released at Essen 2012. This long-awaited expansion features a lot of new and interesting parts to check out, including multi-alien life support modules, thrusters for the side of your ship to dodge attacks, and solar panels that power modules without batteries! In addition, there are new obstacles to contend with, such as aliens who will board your ship and explode, causing massive damage. At the same time as this release, CGE will be releasing a 5 year anniversary edition of Galaxy Trucker, which will contain both expansions. Rumor has it that these combined sets will be limited, so please remember to save one for your favorite news blogger (hopefully that’s me). Full details about both of these releases are available here.
- Quarriors in Middle Earth! Say it ain’t so! WizKids has announced a Lord of the Rings Dice building game based on the Quarriors system of building up a bag of dice. Can I just give them my credit card number now? I love the Quarriors system (though it’s not without faults) but building a new game with a LoTR theme? Count me in, sir! More details on this one as they are released.
- Speaking of Quarriors, has anyone seen this Qladiator expansion? I’m definitely excited for another 40 dice added to my Quarriors collection. Not much is known other than 6 new creatures and 2 new spells will be added (much like the Quarmageddon expansion). One note though, this box will also be a large boxed expansion similar to the last expansion. I’m not sure why they are going this direction (so that you only have to get one of them to get a big box perhaps), but it’s a kind of wasted component for many Quarriors owners. Who knows though…
- AEG’s new lineup of Euro-ish games, based in their new Tempest world, is arriving for Essen. The games should broadly be available in October. Courtier, Mercante and Dominare are their names, and they’re looking pretty nice! We’ve got an influence, trade, and area control game in the mix. Check out more details here.
- Fantasy Flight Games has announced a revised version of Runewars. This version will have some cheaper components, such as no 3D mountains and a thinner cardstock for the factions. More importantly, it does not come in a coffin-sized box like other FFG releases. FFG has been moving away from these larger boxes in recent days. I believe this is largely due to retailer pressure as, let’s face it, stores just don’t have the storage space for the exceptionally large boxed games. The happy upside to all of these component changes is that the MSRP of the game will drop $20 USD. I’ve always been intrigued by the game so this might be enough for me to jump on it! Read all about the changes here.
- Victory Point Games is moving from their traditional bags to boxed games. Retailers just seem to prefer them even though they are larger. I guess it has a lot to do with how things are stored and displayed to the casual buyers. Look for your favorite VPG games to start being boxed up. Read all about these new boxes here.
- Sentinels of the Multiverse: Enhanced Edition is now shipping to all KS backers! Go check your mailbox! Run! I don’t mind. And to keep up with the general trend of conversation, let me just say that I LOVE the new Enhanced Edition box. Storing the whole game in it is just a lovely feeling.