Board Game News Roundup : News from GenCon
- The long awaited Dominion: Dark Ages full list of cards has been revealed. It’s quite an impressive set and I hope to have my hands on it this week (if my FLGS happens to get it in).
As revealed earlier, the theme of the set is entirely around trashing cards and cards morphing into others (via the trash). There are some crazy new attacks that give other people “Ruins,” which are just bad cards that have a weak effect (For example, +1 card). I like this concept because it allows the cards to have a weaker clutter card than a curse.
There’s also a stack of knights, each one named differently. The knights each have a common attack and a smaller sub-benefit. The neat thing here is that the knights actually fight one another. That is, if the attack on a knight happens to hit another knight, both are trashed. The theme in this set just oozes from every card…
That’s all I have to say about the set right now until I’ve played it but keep your eyes peeled for an eventual review of it.
- One of my favorite games over the last few months, Summoner Wars, has released two new reinforcement decks for pre-order. With these last two sets, all 16 factions have a full selection of units to choose from. Check out some of these previews of some of the Filth and Vargath reinforcement units. I’ve been playing Filth for the last few months in my games and although I love their base deck, some of these reinforcement options are just too amazing for words.
- Days of Wonder has released the Memoir ’44 Equipment Pack at this year’s GenCon. There are over 180 new miniatures in this one (so that you can replace badges with actual miniatures!) and a bunch of new scenarios to try out. I’m missing a few of the Memoir ’44 packs so I think I’d get less value out of this one, but for those of you who have most of the sets, definitely check this one out.
- Fantasy Flight Games had a number of big announcements at GenCon, including the release of Battles Of Westeros : House Baratheon, New X-Wing Miniatures, and a reprint of Borderlands. For the RPG fans, FFG will also be releasing a Star Wars themed RPG, titled Edge of the Empire.
- Greater Than Games had a few sets of the latest Sentinels of The Multiverse expansions out (as well as the new base set). If anyone has any pictures or thoughts on this set, please let us know! I’m still waiting until September for this game so I’m dying to hear what it’s like!