Video Game of the Year 2011? YOU decide!

That’s right, folks. You may have noticed some similarity between a few of our recent posts. They were, in fact, actual candidate entries, one per writer, for GFBRobot Video Game of the Year 2011.

Now, you might wonder why this matters to you, other than exercising ye olde voting muscle. The answer is quite simple: FREE SHIT…er, I mean games. Free games!

Specifically, one (1) free copy of any of the games currently vying for game of the year. All you have to do is weigh in with a comment on this post or any of the previous VGOTY posts stating which game you think deserves the title and why. You can even tell us about a game we didn’t include and why we should have. It’s entirely up to you and fighting is encouraged.

Of course, only one entry per commenter and your comment must be posted by the end of Christmas Day, December 25th, 11:59 p.m. (Pacific). All votes will be tallied with the award going to the highest vote getter and the commenter award being selected at random from all eligible entries.

If you’re curious about how we picked these titles, I’ll be discussing the whole process on next week’s Pyro’s Arcade.

I’ll include the sweet posters, by our very own DarthVid, and links to each post below:

Binding of Isaac

Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls

Terraria

Bastion

RIFT

There are 14 comments.

1. Matt said on December 16, 2011 at 3:43 pm

My vote would be for Rift. I was just blown away by the amount of customization.
    And by the way, love the difficulty of these gfbrobot contests. Keep up the good work!

2. sinistralsimian said on December 18, 2011 at 8:40 am

honostly. Didn’t play a single one of these. but not watching the news doesn’t stop people from voting in real elections. I am going to go with Bastion based on user reviews and feedback from friends. while I am sure Rift is fun, it appears to be the same MMO dressed up in different clothes. I don’t know anything about the binding of Isaac so their PR team dropped the ball on that one and as much as I like JRPG’s I don’t think I have time for more in my life right now. Sorry wizardry.

3. Justin said on December 18, 2011 at 4:27 pm

BASTION was an amazing experience!

4. Todd said on December 19, 2011 at 6:07 pm

(Posted this on the Binding of Isaac page, thought I would x-post it here)

There simply wasn’t a better value this year than Binding of Isaac. $5 for >40 hrs of enjoyment, and I’m still drawn to it every time I open my Steam library.

The theme of this game has affected me more than any other game this year…or ever…at least since a particular moment in FFVII. I was surprised how much I was moved during simple moments like the second time through, when Isaac gleefully pulls a noose from the giant treasure chest.

Also, I am hoping that this game will spawn a number of novel games with rogue-like mechanics. It’s such a great way to make replayability a key feature and have complex experiences with simple gameplay.

And that’s why The Binding of Isaac get’s my vote.

5. Nathan said on December 20, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Ive got to vote for bastion, It was one of the few games this year that didnt rehash something else.

6. ruined said on December 21, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I’ll go with Bastion. The game has a lot of style, and doesn’t feel derivative at all. That said I do want to try out Isaac.

7. Todd Zircher said on December 21, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Got to throw in another vote for Rift. Great stuff.

TAZ

8. LukazDane said on December 23, 2011 at 12:20 am

A friend of mine has Rift and i find it ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. I like games with a good amount of customization and i like the way the game flows. I feel like its definitely worth being game of the year!

9. jbnet211 said on December 23, 2011 at 4:14 am

bastion, becase it’s the only one i played out of the choices

10. Josh said on December 23, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I’m a little disappointed that this list came out a little early. I would’ve like to have seen SWTOR in the list as a possibility, but this list came out before it was released.

11. Commander Fabulous said on December 24, 2011 at 10:53 am

*ahem* TERRARIAAAAAAAA! That is all.

12. Conor Conor said on December 25, 2011 at 1:59 am

Josh, SWTOR has been functionally “out” for nearly 2 weeks.

If you listen to the podcast, I explained that I actually ruled out any games from the holiday rampage of games due to a lack of appropriate time for them to properly percolate.

That said, I really don’t feel like SWTOR is THAT good of a game. It’s a great game and I love the shit out of it but it does nothing that sets it out as GOTY.

13. josh said on December 26, 2011 at 11:38 am

I actually agree with you on SWTOR’s GotY prospects but I thought it was better than rift. I also think it will truly come into it’s own, once the first major patch comes through. I understand that you don’t want to add games that haven’t been truly played appropriately, but that is why I think these lists coming out before the end of the year. As far as SWTOR is concerned, I think I was more upset with the lack of coverage of it’s release on this site. I would have liked to at least see what you guys thought of it in a preliminary review.

14. Conor Conor said on December 26, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Josh, it did actually get a lot of coverage on the podcast. I did a pretty long discussion after my weekend with the beta and I again discussed it on the most recent cast, now that it’s live.

You should check them out. 😀