Museum of Unnatural History
I love the various 826 organizations found throughout the country. Each of the writing and tutoring centers has a themed store in the front, with a writing and tutoring space in the rear. The reason for this odd arrangement is that they are able to exist in commercially zoned areas. Founded by author Dave Eggers, the organizations work with schools, teachers and students to help get kids excited about writing. They provide in-school workshops, the opportunity for classes to come to their space for field trip workshops, and have an after-school tutoring program. The field trips and workshops produce tangible results in the form of a book or newspaper, while the after-school programs tutor in all subjects. And they manage to do it all with a sense of humor!
The new store in DC sells: Unicorn Tears, Confused Wood (from the makers of Petrified Wood), Weather Rocks, Wallace’s Primordial Soup, and more! Head on over to Super Punch for more photos of the store and it’s goods.
In case you want to check out a store near you, and see the funny wares they have for sale:
- San Francisco has the Pirate Store (the original storefront)
- Seattle runs a Space Travel Supply Company
- Brooklyn has a Super Hero Supply Co.
- Chicago has The Boring Store (spy gear)
- Los Angeles has the Echo Park Time Travel Mart
- Detroit has the Liberty Street Robot Supply & Repair
- Boston has The Bigfoot Research Institute
via Super Punch